Adventures Of Captain Woodward And Five Seamen In The Island Of Celebes

In the year 1791, Woodward sailed from Boston in the ship Robert

Morris, Captain Hay, for the East Indies. On his arrival there he was

employed in making country voyages until the 20th of January, when he

sailed as chief-mate in an American ship from Batavia bound to


In passing through the straits of Macassar, they found the wind and

current both against them, and after beating up for six weeks they

fell short of provision. Captain Woodward and five seamen were sent to

purchase some from a vessel about four leagues distant. They were

without water, provisions, or compass,--having on board only an axe, a

boat hook, two penknives, a useless gun and forty dollars in cash.

They reached the ship at sunset, and were told by the captain that he

had no provision to spare as he was bound to China and was victualled

for only one month. He advised them to stay until morning, which they

did. But when morning dawned, their own ship was out of sight even

from the mast head, and with a fair wind for her to go through the

straits of Macassar. Being treated coolly by the captain, they agreed

with one voice to leave the ship in search of their own. On leaving

the vessel, the captain gave them twelve musket cartridges and a round

bottle of brandy, but neither water nor provision of any sort.

They rowed till twelve o'clock at night, in hopes of seeing their own

vessel, and then drawing near an island they thought it prudent to go

there to get some fresh water.--They landed and made a large fire in

hopes their ship might see it. But not being able to see any thing of

her in the morning and finding no water or provisions on the island,

they continued their course in the middle of the straits six days

longer, without going on shore or tasting of any thing but brandy.

They soon had the shore of Celebes in sight, where they determined to

go in search of provisions and then to proceed to Macassar.

As they approached the shore they saw two proas full of natives, who

immediately put themselves in a posture of defence. The sailors made

signs to them that they wanted provisions, but instead of giving it

the Malays began to brandish their cresses or steel daggers. Three of

the men jumped on board a proa to beg some Indian corn, and got three

or four small ears. The chief seemed quite friendly and agreed to sell

captain Woodward two cocoa nuts for a dollar, but as soon as he had

received the money, he immediately began to strip him in search of

more. Captain Woodward defended himself with a hatchet and ordered the

boat to be shoved off, the chief levelled a musket at him, but

fortunately it missed him.

They then stood off, went round a point of land and landed out of

sight of the proas, when they found a plenty of cocoa nut trees.

Captain Woodward while engaged in cutting them down, heard the man

whom he had left to take care of the boat, scream out in a most bitter

manner. He ran immediately to the beach where he saw his own boat off

at some distance full of Malays and the poor fellow who guarded it

lying on his back with his throat cut, and his body stabbed in several


They now fled immediately to the mountains, and finding that they had

lost their boat, money, and most of their clothes, they concluded that

their only chance of escape was to get to Macassar by land. Being

afraid to travel in the day time they set out in the evening, taking a

star for their guide bearing south. But they soon lost sight of the

star and at daylight found themselves within a few rods of the place,

where they had set out. They had travelled on the side of a mountain,

and had gone quite round it instead of going straight over it. They

started again and travelled by the sea shore six nights successively,

living on berries and water found in the hollows of trees.

On the sixth they arrived at a bay where they saw a party of the Malays

fishing. Here Captain Woodward found some yellowish berries which were

to him quite palatable, but his men not liking them eat some of the

leaves. On the next day they concluded to make a raft and go to the

small island on which they first landed, thinking that they might be

taken off from it by some ship passing that way. But they were obliged

to abandon this project, for in the evening the men who had eaten the

leaves, were attacked with violent pains and were crying out in torture

during the whole night.--Although they got better towards evening yet

they were so weak and dejected that Captain Woodward was convinced that

they could not reach the island and asked them if they were willing to

surrender themselves to the Malays. On reflection they all thought this

the best course which they could take; and forthwith proceeded to the

bay where they had seen the Malays in the morning, in order at once

either to find friends or to meet their fate. At first they saw no one,

but Captain Woodward soon saw three of the natives approaching him; and

ordering his men to keep quiet, he advanced alone until he had come

within a short distance of them, where they stopped and drew out their

cresses or knives.--Captain Woodward fell on his knees and begged for

mercy. The Malays looked at him for about ten minutes with their knives

drawn, when one of them came towards him, knelt in the same manner and

offered both his hands. More natives now came up and stripped them of

their hats and handkerchiefs and even the buttons on their jackets,

which they took for money.

They were now taken to Travalla and carried to the court-house or

judgment hall, accompanied by a great concourse of people, including

women and children who made a circle at some distance from them. The

chief soon entered, looking as wild as a madman, carrying in his hand

a large drawn cress or knife, the blade of which was two feet and half

long and very bright. Captain Woodward approached so near to him as to

place the foot of the chief on his own head, as a token that he was

completely under his power and direction. The chief after holding a

short consultation, returned to his house and brought out five pieces

of betel nut, which he gave to the sailors as a token of friendship.

They were now permitted to rest until about eight o'clock when they

were carried to the Rajah's house, where they found a supper provided

for them of sago-bread and peas, but in all hardly enough for one man.

Their allowance afterwards was for each man a cocoa nut and an ear of

Indian corn at noon, and the same at night. In this manner they lived

about twenty days, but were not allowed to go out except to the water

to bathe. The natives soon began to relax their vigilance over them,

and in about four months, they were conveyed to the head Rajah of

Parlow. They had not been there long when the head Rajah sent to a

Dutch port called Priggia, which is at the head of a deep bay on the

east side of the island and which is under the care of a commandant

who was a Frenchman, and had been thirty years in the Dutch service.

He arrived at Parlow and sent for Capt. Woodward. He wished him to go

with him to Priggia where he resided, but Captain Woodward refused,

being apprehensive that he should be forced into the Dutch service.

The commandant then enquired where he intended to go. He answered to

Batavia or Macassar and thence to Bengal. He did not offer Captain

Woodward or his people either money, assistance, or clothes, but

seemed quite affronted.

The Rajah now gave him the liberty of returning to Travalla, taking

care, however, to send him in the night for fear that he should get

sight of Dungally, where there lived a Mahomedan priest called Juan

Hadgee. This priest had been at Travalla, and offered a ransom for

Captain Woodward and his men, but the natives were unwilling to take

it, and were fearful that their captives would try to escape to the

town where the priest lived. It happened however, that they were

becalmed off Dungally, so that Captain Woodward could observe its

situation. On arriving at Travalla, he attempted to escape alone by

water, but the canoe being leaky, he came very near losing his life.

But not discouraged, he started immediately for Dungally by land, and

reached it just as the day dawned.

Juan Hadgee received him kindly and provided him with food and

clothing. In the course of three days the chief of Travalla learning

that he had gone to Dungally, sent after him, but the old priest and

the Rajah of Dungally refused to let him go. They told him that in the

course of three months they would convey him to Batavia or Macassar,

and also desired him to send for the four men he had left at

Travalla.--This he did by means of a letter which he wrote with a pen

of bamboo, and sent by the captain of a proa, who delivered it

secretly. The men made their escape from Parlow at the time of a

feast, early in the evening, and arrived at Dungally at twelve o'clock

the next day. They were received with great rejoicing by the natives,

who immediately brought them plenty of victuals. And this fortunate

circumstance revived their hopes of reaching some European settlement,

after many narrow escapes and difficulties.

Juan Hadgee now informed Capt. Woodward that he should set off in

about two months, but that he must first make a short voyage for

provisions, which he did, leaving Captain Woodward in his house with

his wife and two servants.

They soon began to suffer exceedingly for the want of provisions, so

that the natives were obliged to convey them up the country, there to

be supplied by some of the same tribe, who regularly went from the

village into the country at a certain season to cultivate rice and

Indian corn. But the Rajah of Parlow making war on the Rajah of

Dungally, because the latter would not deliver them up, they were soon

brought back to Dungally. There was but one engagement, and then the

men of Parlow were beaten and driven back to their own town.

Provisions again growing scarce, Juan Hadgee was bound for another

port called Sawyah, situated about two degrees north of the line. He

gave Captain Woodward permission to accompany him, provided the Rajah

was willing, but the latter refused, saying that he must stay there

and keep guard. Captain Woodward now mustered his men, and taking

their guns they went to the house of the Rajah and told him they would

stand guard no longer for they wished to go to Macassar. He

immediately replied that they should not. Being determined not to live

longer in this manner, and finding no other means of escaping, Captain

Woodward came to the resolution of stealing a canoe, to which all the

men agreed. They were lucky enough to obtain one and seemed in a fair

way to make their escape, but just as they were getting into it they

were surrounded by about twenty natives and carried before the Rajah,

who ordered them to account for their conduct. They told him that they

could get nothing to eat, and were determined to quit the place on the

first opportunity that offered. Nothing of consequence resulted from

this.--Knowing the language and people they had now become fearless of


The Rajah refusing to let them go with Juan Hadgee they determined to

run away with him, which they were enabled to do, as the old man set

out at twelve o'clock at night, and there happened luckily to be a

canoe on the beach near his own.--This they took and followed him as

well as they could, but they soon parted from him, and in the morning

discovered a proa close by them filled with Malays. They told them

that they were bound with the old man to Sawyah. The Malays took them

at their word and carried them there instead of to Dungally, which was

a lucky escape to them for that time.--Whilst residing at Sawyah the

old priest carried Captain Woodward to an island in the bay of Sawyah,

which he granted to him, and in compliment called it Steersman's

Island, steersman being the appellation by which Captain Woodward was

distinguished by the natives. After staying some time in Sawyah and

making sago, which they bartered for fish and cocoa-nuts, they left

the place and proceeded to Dumpolis, a little to the southward of

Sawyah. Juan Hadgee soon left the place for Tomboo about a day's sail

south, where he had business. Here Captain Woodward and his men also

followed him. The old priest was willing to assist them to escape from

here, but was evidently unable to do it. Tomboo being under the

direction of the Rajah of Dungally.

Fortunately they succeeded in stealing a canoe in the night, and once

more shoving off, they directed their course to a small island in the

bay, where they landed at daybreak. Not being able to find water here

as they expected, they landed at another point of land, which they

knew to be uninhabited.--Having obtained water and repaired their

canoe, they directed their course to Macassar, which was then about

five degrees to the southward. After coasting along the island for the

space of eight days, during which time they were twice very nearly

taken by the Malays, they arrived at a part of the island of Celebes,

which was very thickly inhabited.

They passed many towns and saw many proas within the harbors. Having

observed a retired place, they landed to procure some fresh water, but

they had hardly got a draught each, when two canoes were seen coming

to the very place where they were. They immediately shoved off and

kept on their course all day. Just as the sun went down they

discovered two canoes not far from them fishing. As soon as the

natives saw them they made the best of their way to the shore. Captain

Woodward wished to inquire the distance to Macassar, but not being

able to stop them he made for one of two canoes which he saw at a

distance lying at anchor. Being told that the captain was below and

asleep he went down and awakened him. He came on deck with three or

four men all armed with spears, and inquired where they were going.

Captain Woodward told him to Macassar and inquired of him the distance

to that place. He answered that it would take a month and a day to

reach it. Captain Woodward told him it was not true and made the best

of his way off. The Malays however made chase, but Captain Woodward

and his men by putting out to sea and making great exertion, soon lost

sight of them and were able again to stand in towards the land.

At daylight they discovered a number of fishing canoes, two of which

made towards them. They let them come alongside as there was only one

man in each. One of them came on board and Captain Woodward put the

same question to him respecting Macassar. He first said it would take

thirty days to reach there and asked them to go on shore and see the

Rajah. But they declined doing this, and he afterwards acknowledged

that a proa could go there in two days.

They then left the canoe and sailed along the coast. At evening they

perceived a proa full of Malay men set off from the shore. It was soon

along side, and four of them jumping into the boat nearly upset her,

and thus Captain Woodward and his men were again prisoners of the

Malays. They were carried to a town called Pamboon and then conducted

to the Rajah's house. The Rajah demanded of them whence they came and

whither they were going. Captain Woodward answered the same as before;

he also told him that they must go immediately, and must not be

stopped. They had now become so familiar with dangers and with

captures, and were also so much nearer Macassar, than they could have

expected after so many narrow escapes, that they became more and more

desperate and confident, from the persuasion that they should at last

reach their destined port.

In the morning Captain Woodward again waited on the Rajah, and begged

to be sent to Macassar; telling him that the Governor had sent for

them, who would stop all his proas at Macassar if he detained them.

After thinking on it a short time, he called the captain of a proa,

and delivered the prisoners to him, telling him to carry them to

Macassar, and if he could get anything for them to take it, but if not

to let them go. The proa not being ready they stayed in the canoe

three days, quite overcome by their many hardships and fatigues.

Captain Woodward having had no shirt, the sun had burnt his shoulder

so as to lay it quite bare and produce a bad sore. Here he caught

cold, and was attacked with a violent fever, so that by the time the

proa was ready to sail he was unable to stand. He was carried and laid

on the deck without a mat or any kind of clothing. The cold nights and

frequent showers of rain would without doubt have killed him, had he

not been kept alive by the hopes of reaching Macassar, the thoughts of

which kept up all their spirits.

They landed at Macassar on the 15th of June 1795, after a voyage of

about nineteen days from Tomboo, and after having been two years and

five months in captivity; the reckoning which Captain Woodward kept

during that time, being wrong only one day.

Account Of The Loss Of His Majesty's Ship Phoenix Adventures Of Philip Ashton Who After Escaping From Pirates Lived Sixteen Months In Solitude On A Desolate Island facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail